Take the breast cancer awareness quiz and win a pink collapsible cooler
filled with two movie tickets, popcorn, candies, cookies and a breast
cancer awareness pin. Just place the correct answer beside the question
number and e-mail your answers to Tonya Pilkenton in Radiology at
firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Tuesday, Oct. 27. Susan Ackerman, M.D.,
will draw one prize winner from all of the winning entries on Oct. 30.
The winner will be announced in the Nov. 6 issue of The Catalyst.
1. Hollings Cancer Center is the only ______________________-designated
cancer center in South Carolina; and one of only 64 in the country.
2. Yearly mammograms are recommended starting at age _____ and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health.
3. Women in their 20s and 30s should have a _____________________ as
part of a regular health exam by a health professional, preferably
every three years. After age 40, women should have a breast exam by a
health professional every year.
4. Hollings Cancer Center has a __________________________ that travels
weekly throughout 12 Lowcountry counties offering free and low-cost
screenings to underserved populations.
5. You can lower your risk of getting breast cancer by changing these
risk factors – limit alcohol use, _____________________ and keep a
6. The earlier breast cancer is found, the better the chances that
treatment will work. Mammograms are ________________ for breast cancer
that save thousands of lives each year.
For certain women at high risk for breast cancer, MRI (Magnetic
Resonance Imaging) screenings are recommended along with a yearly
mammogram. It is not generally recommended as a screening tool by
itself as it may miss some cancers that __________________would find.
8. The most common sign of breast cancer is a ________________. A lump
that is painless, hard, and has uneven edges is more likely to be
cancer. But some cancers are tender, soft and rounded. So it’s
important to have anything unusual checked by a doctor.
Other signs of breast cancer include the following: swelling of
all or part of the breast; skin irritation or dimpling; breast pain;
nipple pain or the nipple turning inward; redness, scaliness, or
thickening of the nipple or breast skin; a nipple discharge other than
breast milk; and a lump in the underarm area
9. ________ patients were diagnosed with breast cancer at Hollings Cancer Center last year.
10. Hollings Mobile Health Unit provides ______________________ for
breast, prostate, cervical, head and neck and skin cancers throughout
twelve counties in the Lowcountry.
Mobile Health Unit
new lump or mass
clinical breast exam (CBE)
early detection tests
cancer education and screening
National Cancer Institute
E-mail answers to email@example.com by Oct. 27
Friday, Oct. 23, 2009