This month, MUSC Employee Wellness is focused on helping employees who use tobacco find ways to quit, on increasing knowledge of lung heath, and on raising awareness about the importance of establishing a tobacco-free workplace.
A variety of activities are planned throughout the month with the goal of making MUSC a healthy, smoke-free place to work. For more information on these events or to become involved in creating a tobacco free workplace, email email@example.com.
The capstone event of the month is the 2011 Fight for Air Climb, a special fundraising event for the American Lung Association. Sometimes called a "vertical road race," teams and individual participants can use the event as a fitness target, as a race or as a great way to be active and meet new friends. American Lung Association climbs also are a wonderful way to support someone who has lung disease or as a memorial to someone who has passed away.
On July 30, hundreds of people will huff and puff their way up and down the stairs in the North Charleston Coliseum by participating in the Fight for Air Climb and Ultra Climb. This is more than your same old 5K. Whether climbing for a winning time or simply to cross the finish line in honor or in memory of someone with lung disease, this event is a great way to challenge yourself physically.
Need to practice first? The next practice will be held at 8 a.m., July 9; 6 p.m., July 12; 8 a.m., July 23; and 6 p.m. July 26 at the North Charleston Coliseum.
General event information
- The climber and firefighter climb consist of 1,544 total steps. The registration fee is $25 per person and the additional fundraising minimum is $100 per person. Registration fee and minimum fundraising goal are required per person in order to participate in the event, whether you are an individual or on a team.
- The ultra climber will climb the entire coliseum for a total of 5,064 steps. The registration fee is $25 per person and the additional fundraising minimum is $150 per person. Registration fee and minimum fundraising goal are required per person in order to participate in the event. Ultra climbers have a time limit of an hour and a half.
- All participants are professionally timed and ranked by timing chips.
- All climbers will receive an official Fight For Air Climb Charleston stair climb T-shirt, giveaways and refreshments (must be registered by July 15 to guarantee a T-shirt).
- Fundraising incentives will be given to top fundraisers.
- All participants are invited to the after-party at the North Charleston Coliseum.
- Awards will be given to fastest climbers, fastest firefighters, top fundraisers and top teams.
Visit http://www.lungusa.org/pledge-events/sc/north-charleston-climb/ to register. If you are interested in forming a team, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employee Wellness events
- Wellness Wednesday: Visit representatives from the American Lung Association from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. on July 6 in the Children's Hospital lobby to learn about the Fight For Air Climb.
- MUSC Smoking Cessation Class: - MUSC's Smoking Cessation Program can help you kick the habit. The next class starts on July 6. Call 792-5200.
- Employee fitness series: A free pilates class will be held at the MUSC Wellness Center from 12:15 - 12:45 p.m. July 12. Participants will receive a same-day free pass to the Wellness Center. Email email@example.com.
- Mobile mammograms: The Hollings Cancer Center mobile van will be conducting mammograms from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. July 20 next to the Basic Sciences Building loading dock. Call 792-0878 to schedule an appointment.
Contact Susan Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org to become involved in employee wellness at MUSC. Events, speakers or any other ideas are welcome.