Celebrating its fifth year, the Carolina Green Fair in Marion Square will be held Oct. 13 and 14. On Oct. 13 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., the fair will host a "green is good and healthy" cooking demonstration. The demonstration will feature local ingredients from the Charleston farmers market. There also will be wellness workshops, local exhibitors, interactive yoga, Zumba and a variety of fitness classes. Admission is free.
The purpose of the Carolina Green Fair is to create excitement and enthusiasm for green principles, lifestyle, products, services and technologies available to South Carolina residents using an environmentally responsible forum of education and entertainment.
MUSC Office of Health Promotion is a sponsor of this event and will host a large tent on Oct. 13 featuring many of the health and wellness resources offered at MUSC, including Employee Wellness, Urban Farm, Sleep Lab, Weight Management, Wellness Center, Nutrition Services, dietetic interns and more.
In addition, local chefs will showcase the use of local and homegrown ingredients to create healthy and delicious dishes. The Culinary Institute of Charleston will bring out the Demo Kitchen from noon to 12:30 p.m. Join MUSC Sodexo chef Ferando Middleton and registered dietitian Debbie Petitpain as they prepare pan-seared local fish with beet sauce and fall greens and grilled vegetable salad with tomatoes, olives and cheese.
MUSC Employee Wellness events
- MUSC Employee Fitness Series: Join fitness expert Katie Blaylock from 4:15 to 4:45 p.m. Oct. 17 for a Tae Bo class. Registration is required and space is limited. Send your name and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. See MUSC Wellness Center Membership Desk upon arrival for sign-in and directions to the classroom.
- Flu shot satellite clinic: Flu shots will be given from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Oct. 17 in the lobby of Ashley River Tower (outside the cafeteria). For faster service bring completed influenza consent form, found in My Records.
- Worksite screening: A worksite screening will be held from 7 to 11 a.m., Oct. 24, university hospital, 2West classroom. This screening, valued at about $350, is available to employees with the State Health Plan for $15 (covered spouses can also participate for $15). Employees and spouses without this insurance can participate for $42. To register, go to www.musc.edu/employeewellness and click Worksite Screening.
- Feed the Need: Donate non-perishable food to the community and help kick off National Food Day. Food collection barrels will be at the following locations until Oct. 24: university hospital cafeteria, Ashley River Tower cafeteria, Colbert Education Cener & Library lobby, MUSC Urban Farm, Wellness Center lobby and the Office of Health Promotion (17 Ehrhardt St.).
- Farmers markets: Fresh fruits and vegetables are available from local farmers each Thursday behind the Drug Discovery Building 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., and Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the horseshoe and the area next to Ashley River Tower.
- Urban Farm: Early bird maintenance from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m., Oct. 16 and 17.
- Carolina Green Fair: MUSC Health & Wellness Tent, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Oct. 13, and noon to 5 p.m., Oct. 14, Marion Square.
- Porcher Medicinal Garden Dedication: 5:30 p.m., Oct. 18, Drug Discovery Building Auditorium
Contact Susan Johnson, Ph.D., at email@example.com for more information on the Office of Health Promotion at MUSC and Suzan Benenson Whelan at firstname.lastname@example.org for specific information about Employee Wellness.
Events, speakers, classes, or any other ideas are welcome. Find us on Facebook. Like our page and keep up with all the wellness events at MUSC.