People – Fostering employee pride and loyalty
Employee of the Month
- Susan Lucas, Referral Call Center supervisor, Business Development & Marketing Services, was praised for her leadership and motivation and for building teamwork among her employees. Lucas is recognized for going above and beyond to support her staff and care for customers. Lucas was nominated by a coworker.
- Chris Larimore, MUHA respiratory therapist and Gate coordinator, was recognized for assisting an elderly couple who had lost their way around the hospital. Fuller took the time to reunite the couple with their family and locate their vehicle. Larimore was nominated by Barrie Tyler.
- Stacy Harris, 9E, was applauded for her work and dedication to reduce and manage her unit's supply costs. In six months, she coordinated a system that would review inventories and reduce waste with supply items. She collaborated with areas outside of the unit to determine proper usage and ordering of supplies. Her efforts led to a monthly cost savings of $1,000 for a period of time. Harris was nominated by Leah Ramos.
Karen Rankine, MUHA education and training manager, reported on the following:
- Training opportunities for December: Just in Time Consultation Sessions for Leaders with Joan Herbert from noon to 1 p.m., Dec. 18, Room 207, Quadrangle Building. Registration is not required;
- Register in CATTS for the following session: Protecting Yourself in the Digital Age from 10 to 11:30 a.m., Dec. 11; Presentation Skills Workshop from 1 to 2 p.m., Dec. 12; HR 101: Tools and Systems from 9 to 11:30 a.m., Dec. 13; Process Improvement—IMPROVE from 10 to 11 a.m., Dec. 14.
The first orientation of 2013 will be Jan. 14. Human Resources will conduct book orientation in emergency cases only prior to Jan. 14.
December Benefit of the Month
James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine, 29 Bee Street, welcomes MUSC employees and the public for their dental care. New patient screening line is 792-2101, choose option #2 to arrange a screening appointment.
Patients also can be seen in an emergency walk-in basis, on the first floor, Oral Medicine clinic. To make an appointment, call 792-3444.
Susan Johnson, Ph.D., Office of Health Promotion, shared wellness activities for December: Worksite screening from 7 to 11 a.m., Dec. 13, Wellness Center Auditorium; Employee Fitness series – Spin, 4:15 to 4:45 p.m., Dec. 19; and Lunchtime Losers will start Jan. 10. To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The MUSC Urban Farm was named Charleston Friendly Yard by the Keeping Charleston Beautiful Committee. The farm will be closed Dec. 16 to Jan. 6. For information on the farm, email email@example.com.
For information on MUSC Employee Wellness activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A special hospital communications meeting is scheduled for 1 p.m., Dec. 11, 2West Amphitheater, and will feature a Joint Commission update from Lois Kerr, accreditation manager. The next scheduled meeting is Dec. 18.
Friday, Dec. 7, 2012