by Susan Johnson, Ph.D.
MUSC dietetic interns and Sodexo are sponsoring a contest designed to promote health and wellness during National Nutrition Month through the purchase of healthier options in MUSC cafeterias. All MUSC certified Wellness & You items have met specific nutritional guidelines. This contest is for MUSC employees and students, participants must have an active MUSC badge to be eligible.
1. Purchase a Wellness & You entrée from any MUSC cafeteria.
2. Write your name and phone number or email address on the back of your receipt and place in the contest box located at the checkout counters.
3. Weekly prizes will be given at the Wednesday nutrition booths, with the grand prize and runner-up prize given at the financial office in the university hospital.
This contest will take place through the end of March. Receipts need to be in by 3 p.m. every Thursday and the drawing will be done around 3:30 p.m. to determine the winner for the weekly prize. The first weekly drawing was March 8, with drawings also March 15, March 22 and the final drawing (weekly and monthly) March 29.
Week 1: Signed copy of "Food Lovers' Guide to Charleston & Savannah" by Holly Herrick
Week 2: Signed copy of "Southern Farmers Market Cookbook" by Holly Herrick
Week 3: $25 gift card from the Hospitality Management Group to be used at Blossom, Magnolias or Cypress
Week 4: 2 pound bag of Magnolias stone ground white grits and an "ART of Healthy Cooking" cookbook
At the end of March, everyone who has entered the contest will be entered into a grand prize drawing. The grand prize will be $25 per week for a year put onto badges for use in the MUSC cafeterias; the runner-up will receive $10 per week for a year put onto badges for use in the MUSC cafeterias.
For information contact Molly Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employee Wellness events
- "Pitch the Pack" Smoking Cessation Clinics: Weekly cessation clinics facilitated by physicians, psychologists and trained staff free for MUSC employees, students and family members. The next clinic will be held at 5:30 p.m., March 12 in Room 102, Colbert Education Center & Library. Visit http://mcintranet.musc.edu/health1st and click on "Smoking Cessation Enrollment Form" to register or email email@example.com.
- Wellness Wednesday: March is National Nutrition Month and the focus is to "Get Your Plate in Shape." Join the dietetic interns at Wellness Wednesday for nutrition tips, interactive games, prizes and free food. Get ready to take the "cookie challenge" and learn how to get your plate in shape from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 14 in the Children's Hospital lobby.
- Worksite screening: March 14 in Room 803, Harborview Office Tower. This screening, valued at about $350, is available to employees with the State Health Plan for $15 (covered spouses can also participate for $15). Employees and spouses without this insurance can participate for $42. The screening includes: height, weight, blood pressure and a blood draw for a blood chemistry profile, hemogram and a blood lipid profile. To register, go to http://www.musc.edu/medcenter/health1st and click "Worksite Screening."
- Farmers market: Fruits and vegetables are available from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. every Friday in the Horseshoe and in the grassy area next to Ashley River Tower.
Contact Susan Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org to become involved in employee wellness at MUSC.