To Medical Center
At the recent MUSC board of trustees meeting, Lisa Montgomery, vice president for Finance & Administration, was appointed executive vice president for Finance and Operations. Ms. Montgomery, in recent years, has served in a dual role as university vice president for Finance & Administration and chief financial officer for the medical center. In her new role, she will be assuming additional duties for overseeing operations of the president's office and she will continue to serve the medical center for approximately 20 percent of her effort. Steve Hargett, medical center controller, will be assigned additional duties with the title of medical center chief financial officer and controller. No new positions are being created.
Annette Drachman, was appointed MUSC general counsel designee and will become general counsel, replacing Joe Good in that position effective July 2012. Mr. Good has served a distinguished career and has made plans to retire. He will continue to serve in a consultative role during a transitional period. A search is under way for the senior healthcare counsel position, which is being vacated by Ms. Drachman. In conjunction with these changes, the university and medical center legal offices will be integrated to maximize operational efficiency.
On Monday, April 16 the medical center kicked off the annual employee commitment survey. This year we changed to a new vendor, Morehead, for the survey system, analysis and coaching. We made this change because the Morehead product provides a more relevant database for benchmarking and has other impressive features, including system support for preparation and tracking of action plans. Unfortunately when the survey was first opened on the morning of April 16 we experienced a glitch for a few hours on Morehead's end, but this was corrected and a mass email was issued verifying the glitch was corrected.
The survey will be open until April 27 and everyone's participation is strongly encouraged. Our goal is a participation rate of 80 percent or greater. Instructions for accessing the survey and PIN numbers have been widely communicated to departments. An icon has been placed on desktops to access the survey and also a link is located on the medical center intranet. In addition the survey can be accessed via the Internet at https://moreheadsurvey.net/wix5/p2130815479.aspx. All survey responses are 100 percent confidential. The survey results will be widely communicated.
Finally, as indicated in this newsletter, the annual MUSC YES Campaign is under way. Contributions can be earmarked for an array of programs and services, including medical center needs. Anyone who would like additional information should contact Whitney McLuen, employee campaign coordinator, MUSC Development Office at 792-1973 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
W. Stuart Smith
Vice President for Clinical Operations
and Executive Director, MUSC Medical Center
People–Fostering employee pride and loyalty
Helena Bastian, MUHA HR director, presented the following:
- Annual Employee Commitment Survey — Survey dates: April 16 to April 27; Organization participation goal is 80 percent; survey link accessible via the intranet, desktop icon and Internet, https://moreheadsurvey.net/wix/p2130815479.aspx.
- CPR requirement reminder — Positions that require current CPR certification; card must be either an American Heart Association Basic Life for Health Care providers card or an American Red Cross Professional Rescuer card.
- Address changes — MUHA HR recommends that employees use the address change form on the HR website to change addresses. It is not necessary to complete the change via MyRecords because HR will change the address in the system using the form. Employees who make the change using MyRecords will receive an email stating that the change has been approved. This change only affects updated records with MUHA's HR and payroll system. A paper form also must be completed and submitted to Benefits to ensure the change is updated to the benefit providers and S.C. Retirement System, http//mcintranet.musc.edu/hr/documents/hrforms/UniversalNameAddressChange.pdf.
- SuccessFactors – Employees will receive the Annual Self Review May 1; if not completed by the end of the day, May 31, the reviews will automatically be moved to the supervisor; training classes are available, register via CATTS; a tutorial on SuccessFactors training is available at http://tinyurl.com/c98eh2s; annual review classes for leaders will start in June and continue throughout the summer; annual performance review training – May 8 and May 22, (9 –10 a.m.), Room 438 Colbert Education Center & Library.
- Primary Source Verification – HR is conducting primary source verification (PSV) for RN licenses (required by position); as of April 17, 78 percent of RNs are verified; expiration date is April 30. Departments are still responsible for PSV for non-RN positions.
- 2012 Hospital Week Kickoff Event – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., May 3; event features a fun department or unit competition. Top three departments with the highest participation rate at the end of the event will win a pizza party. Participants can check in at the registration table and participate in any of the event games – obstacle course, field noodle hockey, tug-of-war, hula hoop race and much more.
April Benefit of the Month
Fitness at Work: MUSC Moves! April focuses on getting fit at work with activities such as MUSC Fitness Day (Horseshoe)—April 25, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Employees can try Zumba and different fitness activities.
Finance – Providing the highest value to patients while ensuring financial stability
Yulia Milli, MUHA Hospital Fiscal Services (HFS) accounting manager, unveiled a new department homepage under the Division of Finance & Support Services. The site includes a navigation bar with links to specific pages covering financial reporting and services, statements, annual external audit (financial), various types of accounting and payroll services. The team is led by Steve Hargett, CFO/controller; Faye Brownlee, HFS director and features a link to all HFS team members. The webpage also highlights department announcement and news. Visit https://www.musc.edu/medcenter/depts/fss.htm.
2012 YES Campaign
Whitney McLuen, YES employee campaign coordinator, encouraged managers to communicate support to the YES (Yearly Employee Support) Campaign which launched April 3. Leading this year's campaign is Philip Hall, PharmD, campaign chair, and Etta Pisano, M.D., leadership chair. The campaign's goal is $330,000 and employees can make a tax-deductible donation (payroll deduction or pledge), or PTO transfer to contribute to any of the 1,300 funds in the MUSC Foundation or the YES Family Fund. Donate at http://www.musc.edu and click the YES Campaign link. To schedule a YES Campaign presentation at a department or unit meeting, contact McLuen at 792-1973 or email@example.com.
Quality – Providing quality patient care in a safe environment
Sheila Scarborough, patient safety manager, spoke about updates to MUHA's Patient Safety website, the 2012 National Patient Safety goals and MUSC's strategies to meet these goals. Scarborough reviewed updates with the Patient Safety Website under the Center for Clinical Effectiveness & Patient Safety. She featured new patient safety tips and shared information relating to sentinel events with examples for staff training. She also reviewed monthly patient safety goals and Joint Commission Easy List (posters). This month focuses on communications and critical values. Visit http://mcintranet.musc.edu/cceps/PatientSafety/.
Service – Serving the public with compassion, respect and excellence
Maggie Thompson, Patient and Family Centered Care Group manager, shared details about the updated visitation policy (A-31). The policy supports new CMS rules and Joint Commission standards. It contains three documents (A-31 policy, visitation guidelines, and family and visitor rights and responsibilities). IOP has different visitation policies and guidelines. The policy ensures that patients choose who they would like to visit with them, and that hospital staff work to understand each patient's visitation preferences. Staff and patient education roll out of the updated visitation policy is being confirmed. Visit https://www.musc.edu/medcenter/policy/Med/AO31.pdf. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.