According to recent research, people who exercise on work days are more productive, happier and suffer less stress than on non-gym days.
In keeping with our mission to improve health and maximize quality of life through education, research and patient care, MUSC Employee Wellness seeks to implement an employee fitness program with the goal of improving physical fitness among MUSC employees, thereby increasing the health and quality of life of our community. MUSC Moves is a physical activity campaign designed to provide programs that aim to address the challenges many employees face in being physically active at work.
During the month of April, employees will have many opportunities to engage in physical activity and exercise as well as learn about the benefits of physical fitness:
- MUSC Employee Fitness Series — A variety of classes are offered free of charge to encourage employees to try new workouts, including circuit training at 4:15 p.m. on April 18 (Wellness Center) and the fitness fair including ZumbaFest on April 25 in the Horseshoe.
- Lunch and Learns — Desk workout: Exercise bands from 12:15 – 12:45 p.m., April 11, 2W Classroom, university hospital
- Desk workout — Yoga: 12:15 – 12:45 p.m., April 18, Room 103, Colbert Education Center & Library, Email email@example.com to register. Participants will receive a free exercise band.
- Bike to Work Day – Ride your bike to work on April 12 to celebrate Earth Day. Stop by the table at Clyburn plaza from 6 – 9 a.m. for water and fruit. Free showers at the Wellness Center (bring your own towel).
- Fitness Day — April 25 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Horseshoe. Employees will have an opportunity to try a variety of fitness activities including Zumba. Free classes and tours will be held all day at the Wellness Center.
Employee Wellness events
- MUSC's Pitch the Pack Program: Free smoking cessation program offered to MUSC employees and students. Classes, counseling and a one-month supply of medications are available to eligible participants. Receive a success kit filled with gifts at enrollment. Enroll at http://ceii.muschealth.com/SCP/SCPRegistration.aspx.
- MUSC Garden Project: Lunchtime Work & Learn — Learn through working with the soil and seeds in the MUSC Urban Farm from noon – 1 p.m., April 11. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to register.
- MUSC Garden Project: Afternoon Work & Learn — Learn through working with soil and seeds while planting in the MUSC Urban Farm from 4:30 – 6 p.m., April 11. Open to all MUSC employees, students and their families, email email@example.com for more information and to register for this event.
- Earth Day: From 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., April 12 in the Horseshoe. Highlights include live music, local food, eco-crafts and plants for your garden, electric vehicles (see the Nissan Leaf), bike helmets, bike registration and safety information and experts on composting, collecting rain water, saving energy, reducing waste and green tips. Door prizes include a home composter.
- Mobile Mammograms: The Hollings Cancer Center Mobile Van will be conducting mammograms from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., April 18 behind the Clyburn Research Center off President Street. Call 792-0878 to schedule an appointment.
- Farmers market: Fresh fruits and vegetables are available from local farmers from 7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. every Friday in the Horseshoe and in the grassy area next to Ashley River Tower behind Charleston Memorial Hospital.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to become involved in employee wellness at MUSC.