In observance of National Employee ealth and Fitness Day, employees are invited to recognize the importance of being active at work by walking together around MUSC May 16.
MUSC Employee Wellness and the American Heart Association are joining together to promote walking groups at MUSC and are encouraging employees to sign up for the 2012 Heart Walk to be held Sept. 29. Designed to promote physical activity and heart-healthy living, the Heart Walk helps raise funds to fight heart disease and stroke in an environment that's fun with friends, family and coworkers.
Last year MUSC recruited 203 teams (1,239 walkers) and raised $209,921 to benefit the American Heart Association.
Workplace wellness programs have been shown to benefit the employers through enhanced productivity, improved health care costs, reduced absenteeism and decreased rates of illness and injuries. National Employee Health and Fitness Day was created to promote the benefits of a healthy lifestyle to employers and their employees through worksite health and wellness promotion and initiatives. The National Association for Health and Fitness, which sponsors National Employee Health and Fitness Day, said it is the largest workplace health and fitness event in North America.
Employee Wellness events
- May 16 MUSC Moves! A Mile – Join us for a walk around MUSC. Meet outside at Ashley River Tower near the entrance at noon. We'll be walking to Bee Street – Ashley Avenue – Calhoun and finishing on Courtenay Avenue. Representatives from the American Heart Association will have information on the upcoming Heart Walk and will be signing up individuals and teams who wish to participate.
- MUSC's Pitch the Pack Program: Free smoking cessation program offered to MUSC employees and students. Classes, counseling and a one-month supply of medications are available to eligible participants. Receive a complementary success kit with enrollment. Enroll online at http://ceii.muschealth.com/SCP/SCPRegistration.aspx.
- MUSC Urban Farm: Work & Learn – Learn through working with the soil and seeds in the MUSC Urban Farm May 16 from noon – 1 p.m. Family workday from 9 – 11 a.m. May 19. Bring a plastic bag and take home some fresh produce. Harvest should include kale, chard, totsoi and radishes. Please bring water, sunscreen and wear closed-toe shoes. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to register. "Like" us on Facebook: "MUSC Urban Farm."
- MUSC Employee Fitness Series: Join fitness expert Katie Blaylock for a free Step class from 12:15 – 12:45 p.m. May 16. Registration is required and space is limited. Sign up by sending your name and email to email@example.com. See MUSC Wellness Center Membership Desk for sign-in and directions to the classroom.
- Worksite screening: May 17 in Room 2408, Ashley River Tower. This screening, valued at about $350, is available to employees with the State Health Plan for $15 (covered spouses can also participate for $15). Employees and spouses without this insurance can participate for $42. The screening includes height, weight, blood pressure and a blood draw for a blood chemistry profile, hemogram and a blood lipid profile. To register, go to www.musc.edu/medcenter/health1st and click Worksite Screening.
- Farmers market: Fruits and vegetables are available from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. every Friday in the Horseshoe and in the grassy area next to Ashley River Tower behind Charleston Memorial Hospital.
Contact Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org to become involved in employee wellness at MUSC.