by Susan Johnson
Office of Health Promotion
MUSC kicks off the 2012 American Heart Association Heart Walk Campaign as team captains from various departments, units and divisions representing the entire organization gather to discuss the event Sept. 29.
The Lowcountry Heart Walk is the American Heart Association's mission in action. This annual celebration promotes physical activity and heart healthy living while raising awareness about heart disease and raising money for research that has yielded medical breakthroughs, with $1.6 million in grants funding MUSC researchers to date.
This year as teams are formed and walkers are recruited, MUSC Employee Wellness would like to challenge each team captain to encourage their members to begin a walking program, either as a group or individually. To track their progress and create some friendly competition among MUSC teams as well as others in the community, captains are asked to register their teams on the Lighten Up Charleston website at www.lightenupcharleston.org.
Walkers will then be able to log their progress, which will show as a team total and will be able to combine this information with their fundraising efforts to support the goal to raise money and lose pounds through heart walk training and preparation. For more information on how to join a heart walk team or how to register a team or individual through the Lighten Up Charleston online tool, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 792-1245.
Employee Wellness events
- MUSC's Pitch the Pack Program: Free smoking cessation program offered to MUSC employees and students. Classes, counseling and a one-month supply of medications are available to eligible participants. Receive a complementary success kit with enrollment. Enroll online at http://ceii.muschealth.com/SCP/SCPRegistration.aspx.
- MUSC Urban Farm: Work & Learn: Learn through working with the soil and seeds in the MUSC Urban Farm from 9–11 a.m. June 16 and noon–1 p.m. June 20. Bring a plastic bag and take home some fresh produce. Participants also should wear closed-toe shoes. Email email@example.com.
- MUSC Employee Fitness Series: Join fitness expert Katie Blaylock for a free sprint intervals class from 4:15–4:45 p.m. June 20. Registration is required and space is limited. To sign up, send your name and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit the MUSC Wellness Center Membership Desk to sign in and receive directions to the classroom.
- Wellness Wednesday: Employee Health Services will be administering tuberculin skin tests for employees from 11 a.m.–1 p.m., June 20 in the lobby of the Children's Hospital.
- Mammograms: The Hollings Cancer Center Mobile Van will be conducting digital mammograms from 9 a.m.–6 p.m. June 20. Call 792-0878 to schedule an appointment.
Email email@example.com to become involved in employee wellness at MUSC.